Update #37 - Week 3 - July 2019
- New Spacemesh local testnet for devs video tutorial! https://youtu.be/IZvmzm8MzU8
New public open source repo for Spacemesh smart contracts toolchain and VM written in Rust
Finalized and published visual designs for the first release of the Spacemesh App (wallet + miner)
Update #36 - Week 2 - July 2019
Localnet is coming!
- Getting the Spacemesh local testnet ready for devs to hack on! We are improving the scripts a bit and hope to be able to support Win 10 Pro. Currently OS X and Linux are supported.
- Usability testing and finalization of the Spacemesh App UX for the open testnet release.
Sneak peek - Spacemesh App new look is coming!
- App packaging in Travis CI https://github.com/spacemeshos/smapp/pull/132
- Retrieving incoming transactions from node and updated statuses for outgoing transactions.
Update #35 - Week 1 - July 2019
This week we’ve introduced sending poet proofs by gossip and added Block and ATX syntactic validation checks on data received from gossip network. We are moving forward towards a local test net able to run few instances on a local environment. We are also moving ahead with our scaling efforts, testing out different number of participating nodes, fixing bugs as we go on.
- Packing full node node binary with the app
- Wallet app auto start (with control in settings tab)
- Packing wallet app in Travis CI
Update #34 - Week 4 - June 2019
This week the core dev team was focused on getting the platform ready for the local testnet milestone. The goal is to have a working dockerized local testnet running on a dev box. For details see https://testnet.spacemesh.io/#/local . The app dev team has been working on integrating the full node process into the app on node transactions integration.
Update #33 - Week 3 - June 2019
- Full node: Added ed21599 signatures to transactions and made the p2p addressbook persistent to store, and configurable from store. we've added numerous improvements to our automations tests and to the framework itself, as a preparation for more rigorous tests.
- App: focus is on node integration for getting transactions and statuses and on error handling across the app.
- Community: Made available Wasm 2019 Berlin Workshop videos.
Update #32 - Week 2 - June 2019
- Eligibility oracle but fixes and work on stabilizing and refining mining and p2p tests
- Spacemesh Epicenter.tv episode broadcast: https://epicenter.tv/episode/291/
Update #31 - Week 1 - June 2019
- Implemented XDR serialization for TX api calls
- Changed wallet and accounts default names
- Implemented Disk volumes and free space checking across different OSes
Full Node / Client
- Merged the new VRF eligibility oracle that relies on previously merged bls signature schemes
- Merged the activation transaction sync flow
- Added a network on-the-wire and in-memory deduplication to reduce bandwidth
- Track our progress by browsing go-spacmesh merged PRs
Yaron Wittenstein from team Spacemesh talks about WASM smart contracts
- We co-hosted and participated in WASM on the Blockchain 2019 Berlin workshop. The weekend workshop at Full Node Berlin was jam-packed with excellent sessions and discussions. Videos and decks will be published soon. WASM smart contracts are coming to your favorite blockchain, but we have several big challenges to overcome first...
Update #30 - Week 4 - May 2019
The team is working hard on stabilizing the full node for our upcoming testnet milestone. We are running mining flows and handling bugs related to data availability, p2p and various memory performance issues.
- Whiteboard sessions podcast from NY blockchain week is now available on Youtube. Please watch to get an overview of the consensus protocol.
- If you prefer reading than watching videos then please check out our new blog post - Spacemesh protocol motivation
Update #29 - Week 3 - May 2019
After finishing to implement most of the Spacemesh Protocol major flows, we are now focused on testing and benchmarking to verify our network is tuned up to work with many nodes at scale on the cloud using our automation framework.
We are doing tests and benchmarks for gossip, mining, sync and consensus protocols. Another on-going effort is integration of the BLS signature scheme into the platform.
On the App front, this week we integrated our Edwards25519 WASM library into the App and worked on the App's desktop notifications feature.
For more details check out our pulse.
Update #28 - Week 2 - May 2019
- We recorded a whiteboard session videocast with Tal Moran in NYC - episode coming online soon!
- Thanks for coming to listen to Tal Moran and Iddo Bentov from team Spacemesh at our NYC blockchain week meetup.
Simple Proofs of Space-Time and Rational Proofs of Storagepaper by Tal Moran was accepted to Crypto 2019. Tal will be presenting the paper in Santa Barbara in August.
- POST protocol implementation
- ed25591-wasm - New library for using our enhanced ed25591 go library with added features in WASM platforms such as the Spacemesh App
- P2P address resolving from DHT to addrbook
- ATX edge case handling
- Additional automation framework capabilities in order to test various atx flows
- Automation framework prometheus support
Update #27 - Week 1 - May 2019
App & Full Node
- Mining flow automation tests
- Added automation tests for sync
- Sync automation sanity
- Updated PoET and PoST to more efficient merkle tree
- Network screen - initial commit
- All Merged PRs
Update #26 - Week 4 - April 2019
- Finalized blockchain projects participation for our tech-focused meetup in NYC blockchain week. there's still some open spots. RSVP soon :-)
- Finalized participation from awesome wasm people for WASM on the blockchain workshop we are helping to put together in Berlin in June. If you care about WASM on the blockchain then you should apply to participate! https://avive.github.io/wasm_on_the_blockchain/#/
- Tal Moran's paper Simple Proofs of Space-Time and Rational Proofs of Storage accepted to Crypto 2019. The protocols described in the paper are used in the Spacemesh protocol for proofs of Space Time and help Spacemesh create a permissionless, fair cryptocurrency without resorting to POW or PoStake mechanisms.
Spacemesh Full Node
- Added full mining capabilities enabling the creation of activation transactions containing NIPST with POST and POET commitments!
- Added full build and test cycle
- Updated poet ref to our chosen poet solution
- Connect app to node api to retrieve local node status
- Connect local node settings UI to node api
- Connect help links to testnet user guide
ED25519 Public Key Extraction Go Library
An open-source drop-in replacement to golang/crypto/ed25519 with additional functionality.
We have developed this for the Spacemesh protocol since we could not find a good open source alternative. We hope that the open source blockchain dev community will find these capabilities useful in other scenarios and platforms.
In the ed25519 signature scheme, in order to verify the validity of a given signature, the validator should posses the public key of the signer. It can be sent along with the message and its signature, which means that the overall data being sent includes 256 bits of the public key. Our function allows to extract the public key from the signature (and the message), thus the public key may not be sent, resulting in a smaller transferred data.
Update #25 - Week 3 - April 2019
- NYC people - join us on May 13th for this free special event - NYC Blockchain Deep Tech Fireside Chat - space is limited so RSVP now...
NIPST builder running POST inside a full node node. Use PoET as local or remote server via RPC
Public key extraction from Hare protocol identities
Optimized Tortoise memory management and layer eviction policies
VRF eligibility for Hare protocol eligability integration
Wallet backup - 12 word backup flow self test
Update #24 - Week 2 - April 2019
Spacemesh App (Wallet + Full Node)
Spacemesh Core (Full Node + POET Service)
- Mesh traversal for active set counting
- Block eligibility proof
- Secure session over UDP
- Reward according to activation transactions
Update #23 - Week 1 - April 2019
Spacemesh Core (Full Node + POET Service)
- Activation transaction flow
- New UDP-based node discovery protocol and here
- Added block validation according to received activation transactions and VRF
- POET proofs verification (https://github.com/spacemeshos/go-spacemesh/pull/781)
- Separate namespaces for dedicated tests and CI flows
Spacemesh App (Wallet + Full Node)
Lots of merged PRs for the core App screens
- Local node UI improvements
- Backup Wallet Screen in Wallet tab
- Backup Wallet to file logic
- Transactions Tab (with stab data)
- Latest Transactions View in Wallet Overview (with stab data)
- 12 Words backup screen
We just announced our this free community 2 days workshop for blockchain and layer-2 projects that are working on wasm tech for their programmability features. Join us in Berlin this June for this special event. Participants include builders from ewasm, parity, mozilla, wasm and wasmer.io. People from Spacemesh have been working on putting together this event with great people from ewasm, 1kx and Parity.
Update #22 - Week 4 - March 2019
Spacemesh p2p full node
Basic NIPST construction flow with communication to both PoET server and PoST process
Automated Hare protocol testing using the automation framework
Database deduplication for mesh transactions
POST Merkle tree cache optimizations
Spacemesh POET Service
Spacemesh App (Wallet + Full Node GUI)
App send coins - connect to local node API through gRPC calls
App local node setup - logical disk and capacity selection
Restore wallet from 12 words or a wallet file
Update #21 - Week 3 - March 2019
Updated P2P Ping protocol
Limiting number of P2p ingress connections
POST Merkle tree - unbalanced trees support
Testnet interactive guide - updated content
Spacemesh Wallet - main screen UI
Wallet transaction details screen
Spacemesh App - Allow checking local node status without unlocking the wallet
Run automation tests on each dev branch merge
Run gossip automated tests by default in the automation framework
Update #20 - Week 2 - March 2019
Spacemesh’s Co-Founder Tomer Afek leading a panel in Token 2049 discussing the challenges and potential opportunities of Web 3.0
Core Dev Team
- Hare Protocol test functions for testing latency and scenarios in real-world network conditions
- Containers for testing node scenarios in real-world conditions
- New methods for testing network scenarios
- Basic GRPC layer for communication with POET server
- App - derive wallet file encryption key
- App - new wallet core features
- App - Additional new features merged PRs
Update #19 - Week 1 - March 2019
Integrated the first implementation of the reward system, without inflation rules based on token economics plan
Fixed pre-round equivocation bug in Hare protocol
Published new Repo for on the fly efficient Merkle tree
Integrated basic service implementation into POET-Ref repo
Added Testnet guide for running tests using k8s clusters
Published first draft of our public testnet guide
Update #18 - Week 4 - Feb 2019
First batch of fixes after achieving milestone 1
New validation rules for hare protocol messages
Updated p2p ping protocol
New ed25591 signatures extension methods - a drop-in replacement for golang/crypto/ed25519 with additional capabilities
Spacemesh App Welcome Flow
Update #17 - Week 3 - Feb 2019
- Additional tipped open issues for the community
- New Spacemesh App open source repo goes live! https://github.com/spacemeshos/smapp
- Updated desktop visual design for Spacemesh App (Full Node management and wallet)
Update #16 - Week 2 - Feb 2019
- Merged first implementation of a running full node with Hare consensus protocol and unoptimized tortoise
- Merged a new system-wide logging service that supports sending and events and metrics to a global test network orchestrator
- Merged a fixed size pseudo-random Oracle for role and block validation as preparation for system testing
- Implemented rudimentary CLI wallet
- Added definitions and flow charts for the Hare protocol
- Merged basic POET server infrastructure
- Announced our next upcoming live dev community sync on Youtube. Set a reminder and ask us anything
- Merged the first test of a complete network running hare and tortoise consensus protocols, agreeing on the state of the networks shared ledger
- Merged optimal Tortoise protocol implementation
- Added node events for improved test networks debugging
- Added genesis state configuration
Update #15 - Week 1 - Feb 2019
- Gossip network protocol validation
- Additional Hare protocol tests
- Implemented Hare protocol Oracle for testing
- As preparation for our test network, added broadcast API call
- Devs Community Sync #2 live AMA via Youtube
- Hare Protocol description in the Spacemesh protocol repo. An implementation of Synchronous Byzantine Agreement with Expected O(1) Rounds,
Expected O(n2) Communication, and Optimal Resilience
- Sync architecture wiki
Update #14 - Week 4 - Jan 2019
- Easier go-spacemesh dev environment setup. This will help the core dev team and open source contributors to work more efficiently
- Extended and improved the Hare protocol test suite
- Switched to NaCL authentication and encryption in P2P layer. PR merged
- Fixed some tests that failed on local machines. #469 and #466
- Added POET prover-verifier integration tests for benchmarking the protocol
- Announcing our #2 core dev community sync - live on Youtube on Feb 3rd https://youtu.be/85eazslNWqU - The core dev team will answer any technical question about Spacemesh asked in our Gitter dev talk as well as live questions on the Youtube stream via the chat feature
- We made public our Proofs of Elapsed Time service reference repo
- New post on https://spacemesh.io - Proofs of Space Time and Decentralization - video recording and slides of Iddo Bentov’s presentation in Amsterdam Bitcoin Wednesday https://spacemesh.io/iddo-bitcoin-wednesday/
- Finished our first UX design iteration for the Spacemesh Full Node and Wallet App for desktop computers, and published our learnings from 2 usability testing sessions
Update #13 - Week 3 - Jan 2019
We are getting closer to run our first nodes test network, currently without mining capabilities.
Created a rudimentary wallet grpc and HTTP API for use in the test network
Created a test Rolacle (Roles oracle) for testing our hare protocol
Update #12 - Week 2 - Jan 2019
Implemented the testnet milestone block structure
Implemented additional Hare protocol tests
Merged these PRs
Tipped open source contributors for great contributions via gitcoin
Finalzied our first big dev milestone on the road to testnet
- Finalized an iteration of the Spacemesh Wallet App desktop UX for another round of usability tests
Update #11 - Week 1 - Jan 2019
Published Hare protocol detailed flow chat
Added support for orphan blocks as preparation for new Tortoise protocol
Did our first core dev community sync live on Youtube. Watch to learn about what the core dev team is working on
Update #10 - Week 4 - December 2018
Merged first batch of integration tests, testing both p2p protocol and the sync protocol
Update #9 - Week 3 - December 2018
Merged the initial implementation of our state machine supporting accounts
Merged open source contest submission for Intel SHA extensions optimized sha256 and performed some benchmarks on modern AMD desktop and server cpus. ~2x improvement over sha256 optimized using Intel AVX extensions at ~7.7 mhps for sequential sha256 execution on an AMD RYZEN 7 cpu
Started to tip contributions to the Spacemesh full node open source project. See list of funded issues
Update #8 - Weeek 1 & 2 - December 2018
Spacemesh Full Node
We've released a new version of our gossip protocol with some optimizations and refactoring
We've refactored our dependency fetching mechanism and created a new environment setup script for easier on boarding
Work has continued on modeling the new Hare protocol
- Say hello to our new open MVP1 product board where you can see our progress on the road to Spacemesh MVP1 product code-complete milestone
Spacemesh App (Wallet + Dashboard)
Published revision 0.2 of the Spacemesh App design for desktop class screens
Published tests implementing the core Spacemesh Wallet security design - Basic BLS key derivation from random seed, 12 words mnemonic for paper backups and wallet file user pin protection via KDF2 and AES
Integrated a high-performance WASM BLS signatures library and put together some tests to demonstrating usage pattern
Published draft of the Spacemesh API for connecting the Wallet with the Spacemesh blockmesh
Announced a Go crypto hacking open source contest to implement a hardware accelerated sha256 hash function
Implemented Poet core API gRPC client and srver
Update #7 - Week 3 - November 2018
Initial version POET GO prover and verifier merged
First version of the Tortoise protocol merged
A first commit of the new Hare protocol message structure
First version of the gossip protocol merged
Preliminary design of Spacemesh global state and transaction processor
Sync protocol implementation PR
Update #6 - Week 1 and 2 - November 2018
Spacemesh researcher Julian Loss was hosted by the Zero Knowledge Podcast for a nice episode about Spacemesh. Listen to Podcast
Core dev team is focused on the core components of go-spacemesh. Browse merged PRs
Update #5 - Week 4 - October 2018
Fewer PR merges and more devcon4 learnings and community engagement for the core dev team this week.
Devnet: Implemented the bootstrap scenario. Improved infra and refactoring some of its interfaces. Merged #46 .
Poet (VDF) black-box reference go prover: Added support for pluggable hash functions and for scrypt-based hashing. Pref optimization based on profiling and benchmarking. Open source go prover: #9 code review in progress. Come build VDFs with us.
Update #4 - Week 3 - October 2018
- Merged PR: listening port is now sent in handshake
- Gossip is in testing phase in branch p2p-gossip
- Published gossip protocol design doc
- Testing RPC api functionality in the TLV hackathon branch
- Work in progress on the core proofs of elapsed time (POET) server go implementation by open source contributors
- Code completed and heavily testing new black-box POET prover and verifier GO implementation based on the shared spec
- Work started on the POET protocol spec implementation. Spec draft updated with more details
- Work started on many Spacemesh App feature tasks by open source contributors. Join us here
- Gitcoin funded several dev tasks to tip open source contributors with cryptocurrency
- Extensive work on the DEVNET, that could test system scenarios on our decentralized network is gaining momentum. This week we managed to create some basic scenarios that included interaction between several P2P nodes. PR #42 merged plus 8 additional merged PRs
- Hosted @rzurrer from Polychain capital for a nice Cryptoeconomics fireside chat with @tomerafek in Spacemesh TLV HQ
- Announced the first Spacemesh NYC meetup - join us downtown next Thursday. RSVP for free
- Published Tal Moran CESC 2018 Spacemesh protocol slides
- We are hiring full time core developers in New York City!
- Hosted the Liberthon TLV hackahton prep meeting at Spacemesh TLV hq
Update #3 - Week 1 and 2 - October 2018
- Tal Moran, presented the Spacemesh Protocol in #cesc2018. Video is coming soon. In the meantime check out these nice live notes from @Haseeb
- Tomer Afek, Spacemesh co-founder spoke about Blockchain Fairness in SF Blockchain Week and Iddo Bentov presented Spacemesh in the tech track
Core dev team go-spacemesh project updates:
- On-going dev work at full steam ahead on p2p and the consensus protocol
- Set requirements for the Transaction processor and Account DB - two components that are representing the node's internal view of the mesh
- Set requirements for the mesh sync protocol that will allow a node to get the current mesh state for which a consensus can be proved
- Fixed a bug in the connection cache where in case two node's tried to simultaneously connect to each other they ended up with both connections getting closed
- Fixed a bug in the secured session where due to the nature of the crypto package that we are using, the decryption of messages that got encrypted and sent on the wire in different order failed.
- Made the listening port configurable and allowing nodes to discover other node's listening port using dht's discovery protocol
- The Spacemesh devnet cloud testing environment is getting into shape currently it supports spawning full nodes with agents that poll commands from the automation server that sets off node's api calls. Soon it will support testing bootstrap scenarios
Join our upcoming Tel Aviv Hackathon - Hack the future of nations The first hackathon for reinventing the way countries work using P2P decentralized technologies
We are hiring full time blockchain developers in New York and in Tel Aviv! New positions here
Proofs of Elapsed Time (POET) MVP spec published and reviewed by our research team and dev work started by open source collaborators. We are actively looking for additional open source contributors for this project
Product work completed for the first version of the Spacemesh Wallet including detailed use cases and UX. Dev work started by open source developers. Join gitter our dev talk here. Good progress with contributors breaking down spec to good github dev tasks.
We are proud to be able to tip open source contributors with cryptocurrency via Gitcoin and to appear at a nice spot among great other blockchain projects on this leaderboard. Watch this space for additional bounties
Update #2 - Week 1 - September 2018
- Dev and research teams update: work in progress on tasks mentioned in last week's update
- Published protocol stack - a series of personal blog posts from developers about interesting technical challenges involved in their work on the Spacemesh protocol. You can see these on our community page by filtering on the "protocol stack" tag.
- Published a new welcome to Spacemesh video to explain some of the project’s core ideas and concepts https://spacemesh.io/
- Hosted a “blockchain reality check” panel in SpacemeshTLV rooftop with great panelists including @hosseeb, @heatherharde ,@cryptomanran, @tomerafek and @yaronsamid MCing
- Announced new funding and partnerships with Metastable, Polychain, Coinbase, 1kx, Dekrypt, Slow Ventures and others. See: https://spacemesh.io/funding/
- Talked about fair protocols beyond POW and PoStake at https://www.dezentral.io/ in Berlin and @avive from the team participated in the Beyond Ethereum panel
Update #1 - Week 4 - August 2018
- Our dev and research teams are working on the Gossip p2p protocol and the Tortoise & Hare consensus algorithms. This is a multi-week ongoing effort as these tasks are at the heart of the Spacemesh protocol
- 2 new full-time developers have joined our growing core dev team. We are actively hiring strong crypto developers who make quality contributions to one of our open source projects
- We published a draft requirements and design for the Spacemesh public proof of elapsed time (POET) service. We fully work in the open on this (and all other projects) so you are welcome to join and participate in the api design phase
- Some good product and UX work on the Spacemesh Wallet and Dashboard App. We have finalized the requirements and the initial user experience and posted everything to the repo
- We reached the alpha milestone for Spacemesh Cosmic - our open source seed project for building hyper-universal apps (desktop/mobile native/web). You can use Cosmic to build your own universal apps. We are using Cosmic ourselves as the base app scaffolding for the Spacemesh App. We also tipped major contributors for their voluntary work on this project using gitcoin bounties
- Next week... we are speaking about race-free and asic-resistant consensus in dezentral.ion . Come see us if you are coming to Blockchain week Berlin!